9-9-2012 An Afternoon Concert in the Park!
From Royal Albert Hall in London to the Bolivian Andes, and now Glen Providence Park in Media… Friends of Glen Providence Park is delighted to present the prestigious Philadephia Brass for a (free!) classical and jazz concert in the park! This brass quintet’s accomplished musicians perform for orchestras including the Philadelphia Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic, the Montreal Symphony, and New York’s Metropolitan Opera!
Afternoon Concert in the Park
Saturday, September 8
Glen Providence Park Stage, State Street, Media
Rain date: Sunday, September 9
The Philadelphia Brass is composed of some this country’s leading brass professionals. This well-traveled quintet will perform chamber music and jazz, evoking the classical concerts in Glen Providence Park during the 1930’s and 1940’s! Relax on the lawn by the stage and enjoy the sounds of Bach, Duke Ellington, and more- you can watch a performance on the Philadelphia Brass website.
After the concert, head into Media for dinner, shopping, and the arts at M.A.C.’s 2nd Saturday Arts Stroll, just 2 blocks away on State Street!
We are so glad to return the Glen Providence Park Stage to use, as our first volunteer project last September was to clear the stage of vegetation and debris. Help us spread the word about our concert- share this on Facebook and tell your friends!
A tremendous thank you to our concert sponsors:
– The Media Recreation Board does so much for Media- including presenting family dances, movies in Barrall Field, tennis lessons, yoga classes, the annual July 4th celebration; they organized the Media 5 Mile Race for several years, and now they’re running the Great Media Garage Sale Days!
– Blueberry Bog Vintage & Handmade offers Art & Salvage, Vintage, Collectibles, Upcycled & Re-purposed Home Decor, Antiques & Much More! What an appropriate match for Glen Providence Park, with their vintage and eco-friendly wares… and it is located just 2 blocks from the entrance to the park!
We are also incredibly grateful to Delaware County Parks & Recreation for making this concert possible, restoring electricity and lighting to the stage, and providing bathrooms for the event.
– Bring your blanket or chair, and perhaps bug spray!
– There is a parking lot at the State Street entrance, and parking along State Street and West Street- within 2 blocks of the park entrance. Update: We have permission from Penn Medicine, just next to the sledding hill, to use their parking lot! Thank you, Penn Medicine!
– We encourage you to walk or take public transportation: the main entrance is just 2 blocks from the end of the Media trolley line, or less than a .6 mile walk from the Media train station!
– For directions, use this link on google maps.
– To add this event to your favorite calendar program (iCal, Outlook, Google, etc.), view the event listing on our calendar.
The painting is A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte – 1884 by Georges Seurat.