Like old maps? We sure do! Here are six maps we have found of the land that is now the park, from 1683 to 1909. The historical locations play a role in a Ghost Story and Witch Story that take place in Glen Providence Park. Click on the images for a larger view!
1683 map of Chester County
This is before Delaware County was created! That’s Ridley Creek in the center, with Crum to the right, and Chester to the left. The park would be just north of the center, to the right of Ridley Creek, on the land owned by Peter and William Taylor.
Not coincidentally, 1683 was the year that land in this area was ceded by Native American tribes.
1810 map of Delaware County
That’s Ridley Creek up the center, along the orange boundary line. Broomall’s Run is along the word “Providence” in Upper Providence. The park would be under the “PR”.
The road along the top of “Providence” is Kirk Lane- it was a major road at the time. There is no Ridley Creek Road shown.
1848 Map of Delaware County
The park is just about in the center- the creek running along Isaac Cochran’s property is Broomall’s Run, and the road above that is Kirk Lane.
1870 Plan of Borough of Media
Broomall’s Run is along the Borough line at the top. When Broomall’s Run was used as the Borough’s water supply, there was a reservoir and waterworks near Orange Street, upstream from the future Broomall’s Lake and Glen Providence Park.
The orientation is tilted- note the compass rose.
1892 Plan of Borough of Media
This shows Broomall’s Lake, which was created around 1883 by Judge John M. Broomall to harvest ice. It also shows Third Street crossing the dam.
There is no park pond shown on this map- the pond was created in 1936 or 1937, after Glen Providence Park was established in 1935.
1909 Map of Upper Providence Township
What a find! This map shows the “Scrogie” estate (usually spelled Scroggie) which gave Scroggie Valley its name. It also shows the Palmer family property where T. Chalkley Palmer grew up, and George Butler owning the “Broomall House” at Front and West Streets.
George Butler must have later acquired the land he subsequently donated to create Glen Providence Park.
The 1909 map from the “Property Atlas of Delaware County East of Ridley Creek” is posted with permission of the Media Historic Archives.
The 1683, 1810, 1848 and 1870 maps are posted with permission of the Delaware County Institute of Science. Check them out for yourself- they’re hanging on the wall in their map room!
The 1892 map is on our own wall!
We will add more historical maps as we find them!